by Stacy Francis, CFP®, CDFA
Great news from my friend who is moving to Miami: she found the condo of her dreams last weekend. Since she doesn’t have the money – or credit - to own two properties, she called me up to ask if there’s anything she can do to speed up the process of selling her Manhattan home, without lowering the price. Below are a few minimal-effort things that set you up for a quick and lucrative sale:
- Keep the house or condo clean, neat, and cozy. At the end of the day, it is all about whether your prospective buyers can picture themselves living there. Make it easy for them!
- Stay away from major projects, like remodeling. Instead, leave it up to the buyers to customize. Your taste for purple may not be theirs.
- Consider painting the walls in warm, neutral colors. It adds a lot to the cozy-factor, and it won’t cost you much.
- If you have pets, try to recruit a pet sitter during showings, and stow away food bowls etc. Even though Mystic, my cat, and Katy, my puppy, are my favorite furry friends, not all people are pet lovers.
- Set the scene as though you are expecting guests – plates and flowers on the dining table, music on low volume, perhaps even a packet of yeast in water in the oven to create the smell of freshly baked bread! Chances are the prospective buyers will feel so welcome, they’ll never want to leave.