15 (Frugal) Ways to Date Your Mate
by Stacy Francis, CFP®, CDFA
Maybe you have a date with that special someone on Valentine’s Day or a romantic dinner with your significant other. Whatever the situation, below are some ideas for a great cheap date with your honey that will save you lots of cash without skimping on the romance.
- Eat a simple, nutritious dinner at home, and then go out for a truly decadent dessert.
- Pick wildflowers together.
- Go for a bike ride, hike, or run together.
- Pack a picnic lunch and go to the park or the zoo.
- Take a class together in something fun and creative: glass blowing, pottery, drawing, creative writing, or photography.
- Browse in a bookstore together.
- Attend a local high school or college sports game.
- Take a road trip to a nearby town, or even another neighborhood in your own city. Stroll around, talk with locals, have a drink at a local café.
- Read aloud to each other from a favorite novel, poem or short story.
- Attend a theater performance by your local college or community group.
- Go to a flea market or garage sale.
- Attend a local lecture on a subject of interest to both of you.
- Send the kids out to someone else’s house and stay in and cook together.
- Visit a museum on a free or pay-what-you-wish day.
- Have a water balloon fight in the park. Or play on the swings.
You might also want to check out
NYC on the cheap and healthy.
Stacy Francis is president and CEO of Francis Financial, Inc., a fee-only wealth management practice dedicated to investment advisory services for women, couples and those experiencing divorce. She is also the founder of Savvy Ladies®, a nonprofit organization that educates and empowers women to take control of their finances.